FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 27, 2019
ANTIOCH YOUTH SERVICES TASK FORCE TO GATHER PUBLIC TESTIMONY ABOUT YOUTH SERVICES AND PROGRAMS
WHAT: The newly created Antioch Youth Services Task Force will meet to gather public testimony from local community organizations, faith leaders, educators and law enforcement to help identify the need and possibilities for youth services in Antioch.
WHEN & WHERE: On March 5th, 2019, Antioch Community Center, 4703 Lone Tree Way, Antioch, CA 94531 between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm.
WHY: In 2018, Antioch residents overwhelmingly approved a ballot measure (Measure W), co-authored by Council Members Lamar Thorpe and Monica Wilson, which created a 1 cent sales tax for public safety, youth services and quality of life issues. As a result, the City Council established a Youth Services Task Force to explore the need and possibilities for youth programs, including before and after school programs, to inform the city's budget development process. The task force includes Mayor Sean Wright and Council Member Lamar Thorpe.
The agenda will be as follows:
8:00 - 9:00 am - Understanding Youth Services and Programs
1. Michael Dunn, CEO, Boys & Girls Clubs of Contra Costa
2. Nancy Kaiser, Director, Antioch Parks & Recreation Department
3. Fran Gallati, President & CEO, YMCA of the East Bay
9:15 - 10:15 am - A View from Elementary & Middle School Principals
1. Monte Gregg, Principal, Mission Elementary School
2. Phyllis James Principal, Black Diamond Middle School
3. March Hemauer, Principal, Carmen Dragon Elementary School
10:30 - 11:30 am - Faith Community Leaders
1. Dr. Lamont Francies, Pastor, Delta Bay Church of Christ
2. Kirkland Smith, Senior Pastor, Grace Bible Fellowship of Antioch
3. TBA, Golden Hills Community Church
4. TBA, Fellowship Church
12:45 - 1:45 pm - Gangs & Community Violence
1. Sgt. James Stenger, Antioch Police Department, Gang Unit
2. Corp. Rick Hoffman, Antioch Police Department, Gang Unit
3. Laura Delehunt, Assistant District Attorney, Contra Costa County
*Following the March 5th public testimony meeting, the task force will meet again on March 21, 2019, at 6:00 pm to gather additional public testimony from youth, parents and teachers. The location will be announced at a later time.